I just learned of a website dedicated to letters written to your future self called Future Me, and the concept sounds promising. (https://www.futureme.org/what)
What would you say to the you 15 years in the future?
- Hope you are alive and well.
- Hope you are in good health.
- Hope you can remember who you were 15 years ago.
- Hope you can get up off the floor by yourself.
- Hope you aren’t on the floor in the first place.
- Hope your friends are still around and like you.
- Hope you have done a lot of traveling, seeing, sharing, loving, playing, enjoying, crying, laughing.
- Hope you have done a massive amount of LIVING.
Of course, what you would say to your future self would depend on your age today.
If you are 20 your ‘hope’ list would be very different than your list if you are 70.
At 73, these are things I want to say to self at 88.
I want your joints to be oiled enough that moving about isn’t painful.
I want to see you soaring.
I have high aspirations for your soaring.
I want you to enjoy food, so I want you to have good teeth, good implants or good dentures.
I want you to have been to 90% of all the places you’ve dreamed of going. (I don’t want it to be 100% because you still need to be looking forward to something).
And I want you to continue to live passionately…before you forget how.
I want you to have enough friends still alive so you don’t need to hire pallbearers. Of course, they can be old or young, and not many will be needed: they only have to carry an urn filled with your ashes to the nearest tree for scattering.
My want list for you in 15 years is simple: continue living like you always have.
How about your wish list? Any special things you want your future self to know?